Vote and Rate Jamie Clubb's articles and reviews

Sunday 5 July 2015

A CGI Rant

English: I made this image with computer-gener...
English: I made this image with computer-generated imagery. 2 views of a man with an M2A1-7 United States Army flamethrower. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
There is definitely a lot to be said about the way Computer Generated Imagery now dominates many fantasy and science fiction movies. It is as if my generations dreams were made a reality and swiftly became nightmares. I will explore the Era of the Geek at another point. Suffice to say that the below short article caught my attention, explaining that is not just a case of nostalgia why we are less impressed with today's blockbusters than those of yesteryear. My views on the matter?



There's a cold detatchment with over-use of CGI. Compare LOTR to The Hobbit. The second trilogy was inferior in a number of ways, not least of which was the comparative lack of enthusiasm and need to satisfy the corporate entity the original films created. However, its greatest sin was the CGI balance. This is particularly evident in the first of three films. Something else I have noticed since CGI and digitial effects first started permeating the movie world: CGI denial. I got so sick of people telling me how "real" it looked. No it didn't and it still doesn't. We can discuss tricks of the mind and all that, but the aggressive need to be perceived as real leads to less of a desire on the viewer's behalf to suspend disbelief.

"Here's the reason you don't enjoy blockbusters like you used to"

 

 


Don't forget to check out Jamie Clubb's main blog www.jamieclubb.blogspot.com